Northern Suburbs News
At least 2 teens dead in Danbury van crash on I-84
DANBURY (WABC) -- A van packed with teens rolled off Interstate 84 in Danbury Monday morning, killing two of them.
The Ford van, traveling from New York to Connecticut, skidded off the eastbound lanes between exits 2 and 3 just before 12:30 a.m.
The black van rolled down an embankment and came to rest in the woods.
There were 11 occupants in the vehicle. Officials say 16-year-old Eli Schonbron and 15-year-old Dani King, both of Brooklyn, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Multiple occupants were trapped in the vehicle and had to be extricated.
The other nine occupants were transported to Danbury Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
The driver was identified as 22-year-old Elimelech Sperling, also of Brooklyn. The van was owned by Mark Sperling.
The crash backed up traffic for hours on eastbound Interstate 84.
danbury, connecticut, accident, teen, northern suburbs news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County 27 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 5 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack 36 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup