Northern Suburbs News
Mixed bag of weather affects morning commute
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Thursday got off to a stormy start before afternoon sunshine moves in. The Tri-State area faced a mixed bag of wet and windy weather early in the day.
Snow covered New York's capital city overnight, and scattered power outages were being reported across our area.
At its peak, more than 7,000 customers were without power on Long Island. About 4,000 were reported in New Jersey, and Connecticut had almost 19,000 outages statewide.
Hours of drizzling rain across the area are making for a soggy morning commute, and some areas are seeing the first snow flurries since the October nor'easter that caused millions of dollars in damage.
Flooding has closed some sections of Westchester County parkways. Parts of the Saw Mill River, Bronx River and Hutchinson River parkways were closed during the Thursday morning rush hour.
Thankfully, crews are up and ready for action, plowing and salting where necessary.
In Sussex County, New Jersey, the early season storm gave crews a head start on winter preps.
On Long Island, pounding rain and high winds knocked down some trees and power lines. Strong winds also damaged property in Deer Park and East Patchogue.
Flooding forced police to close roads in Union County and Hoboken in New Jersey.
Crews are working to restore electricity across the area.
snow, northern suburbs news, kemberly richardson
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow for some 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos