Northern Suburbs News
High school locked down after teacher fight
POUGHKEEPSIE (WABC) -- Poughkeepsie High School was under lockdown briefly after one teacher allegedly stabbed another.
According to officials, 40-year-old Ronette Ricketts, of Poughkeepsie, used a screwdriver to stab fellow English teacher Cynthia Glozier, 52, of Rhinebeck, during an altercation in the second floor hallway.
It's not known what led to the fight, but students said there had been some "bad blood" between them.
Both women are well known and longtime educators at the high school. Before becoming a teacher, Glozier worked as a supervising producer at Court TV. She was rushed to St. Mary's Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition.
Ricketts was taken into police custody and charged with assault in the 2nd degree and related charges.
She was ordered held at $50,000 cash or $100,000 bond. She was unable to post bail and she was remanded to the Dutchess County Jail.
The school was locked down for about 75 minutes after the incident.
Classes at Poughkeepsie High School continued, but some periods were shortened or eliminated.
No students were involved in the incident and no students were harmed. No other staff members were involved in the incident.
The high school said counseling was made available to students and staff who desire assistance.
poughkeepsie, crime, stabbing, school lockdown, school violence, northern suburbs news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ