Northern Suburbs News
Packages stolen off homeowners porches in Fairfield
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- It looks like the Grinch has landed in Fairfield, Connecticut, snatching holiday gifts before they ever make it under the tree.
Wendy and Mike Bentivegna were robbed three separate times last week.
As soon as a package was dropped on their front porch, it would be stolen, long before they ever got home.
They now have a sign asking the deliveryman not to leave boxes there.
Fairfield Police report seven such robberies in the last week and as we race toward the holidays, as more packages arrive, officials are concerned about an uptick in these thefts where it takes only a second to grab and run.
So far, thousands of dollars in merchandise have been stolen from cell phones to laptops.
Detectives say they now have a very good lead and hope to collar the Grinch shortly.
Meanwhile there are things homeowners can do to protect themselves, namely redirect packages.
Have them delivered to work instead of an empty house or to a neighbor who is home during the day.
That way, gifts won't be left outside for hours, at the mercy of heartless thieves.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, fairfield, theft, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Day Parade 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA men's basketball tournament 57 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos