Northern Suburbs News
Packages stolen off homeowners porches in Fairfield
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- It looks like the Grinch has landed in Fairfield, Connecticut, snatching holiday gifts before they ever make it under the tree.
Wendy and Mike Bentivegna were robbed three separate times last week.
As soon as a package was dropped on their front porch, it would be stolen, long before they ever got home.
They now have a sign asking the deliveryman not to leave boxes there.
Fairfield Police report seven such robberies in the last week and as we race toward the holidays, as more packages arrive, officials are concerned about an uptick in these thefts where it takes only a second to grab and run.
So far, thousands of dollars in merchandise have been stolen from cell phones to laptops.
Detectives say they now have a very good lead and hope to collar the Grinch shortly.
Meanwhile there are things homeowners can do to protect themselves, namely redirect packages.
Have them delivered to work instead of an empty house or to a neighbor who is home during the day.
That way, gifts won't be left outside for hours, at the mercy of heartless thieves.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, fairfield, theft, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 4 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77 3 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
4 min ago