Northern Suburbs News
Packages stolen off homeowners porches in Fairfield
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- It looks like the Grinch has landed in Fairfield, Connecticut, snatching holiday gifts before they ever make it under the tree.
Wendy and Mike Bentivegna were robbed three separate times last week.
As soon as a package was dropped on their front porch, it would be stolen, long before they ever got home.
They now have a sign asking the deliveryman not to leave boxes there.
Fairfield Police report seven such robberies in the last week and as we race toward the holidays, as more packages arrive, officials are concerned about an uptick in these thefts where it takes only a second to grab and run.
So far, thousands of dollars in merchandise have been stolen from cell phones to laptops.
Detectives say they now have a very good lead and hope to collar the Grinch shortly.
Meanwhile there are things homeowners can do to protect themselves, namely redirect packages.
Have them delivered to work instead of an empty house or to a neighbor who is home during the day.
That way, gifts won't be left outside for hours, at the mercy of heartless thieves.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, fairfield, theft, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies 21 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom 52 min ago
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial 5 min ago
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college 52 min ago
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire