Northern Suburbs News
Burning Bible damages New Haven Christmas tree
NEW HAVEN -- A vandal has set a Bible on fire, damaging wires that helped illuminate New Haven's Christmas tree on the Green.
The New Haven Register reports (http://bit.ly/v3dC0G ) that city workers hope to have the tree's lights repaired or replaced and relit by Tuesday afternoon following the overnight blaze.
The burning Bible didn't damage the tree but melted and destroyed wires that power the 30,000 or so lights on the 65-foot Norway spruce.
To fight the blaze, firefighters cut the lock to the electrical box to kill the power.
Lola Odiaga, a New Haven resident walking her dog on the Green, called the Bible-burning a "little bit sick."
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new haven, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 16 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
16 min ago