Northern Suburbs News
Burning Bible damages New Haven Christmas tree
NEW HAVEN -- A vandal has set a Bible on fire, damaging wires that helped illuminate New Haven's Christmas tree on the Green.
The New Haven Register reports (http://bit.ly/v3dC0G ) that city workers hope to have the tree's lights repaired or replaced and relit by Tuesday afternoon following the overnight blaze.
The burning Bible didn't damage the tree but melted and destroyed wires that power the 30,000 or so lights on the 65-foot Norway spruce.
To fight the blaze, firefighters cut the lock to the electrical box to kill the power.
Lola Odiaga, a New Haven resident walking her dog on the Green, called the Bible-burning a "little bit sick."
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new haven, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab on Belt
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos