Northern Suburbs News
Burning Bible damages New Haven Christmas tree
NEW HAVEN -- A vandal has set a Bible on fire, damaging wires that helped illuminate New Haven's Christmas tree on the Green.
The New Haven Register reports (http://bit.ly/v3dC0G ) that city workers hope to have the tree's lights repaired or replaced and relit by Tuesday afternoon following the overnight blaze.
The burning Bible didn't damage the tree but melted and destroyed wires that power the 30,000 or so lights on the 65-foot Norway spruce.
To fight the blaze, firefighters cut the lock to the electrical box to kill the power.
Lola Odiaga, a New Haven resident walking her dog on the Green, called the Bible-burning a "little bit sick."
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new haven, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos