Northern Suburbs News
Burning Bible damages New Haven Christmas tree
NEW HAVEN -- A vandal has set a Bible on fire, damaging wires that helped illuminate New Haven's Christmas tree on the Green.
The New Haven Register reports (http://bit.ly/v3dC0G ) that city workers hope to have the tree's lights repaired or replaced and relit by Tuesday afternoon following the overnight blaze.
The burning Bible didn't damage the tree but melted and destroyed wires that power the 30,000 or so lights on the 65-foot Norway spruce.
To fight the blaze, firefighters cut the lock to the electrical box to kill the power.
Lola Odiaga, a New Haven resident walking her dog on the Green, called the Bible-burning a "little bit sick."
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new haven, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 8 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 28 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos