Northern Suburbs News
Police fatally shoot man in Spring Valley parking lot
SPRING VALLEY (WABC) -- A man was fatally shot, apparently by police, in a Spring Valley parking lot early Wednesday.
The man, a Haitian immigrant, was pronounced dead following the shooting, off East Furman Place, just after 3:30 a.m. Wednesday. The victim was identified as 37-year-old Herve Jules, who was known to frequent the area.
"I know he smokes, drinks," an area resident said. "And when he does, he acts stupid."
The shooting was in a parking lot of the Spring Valley transportation center.
Police say they were called to investigate a disturbance at a bar called El Buen Gusto around 3 a.m. According to police, Jules was armed with a stick and began attacking an officer, who then opened fire. But others say Jules was running away.
There is no further comment from police or the mayor, who admitted she knew the shooting victim.
"I'm very sad about the news, but I cannot elaborate too much because the matter is under investigation," Mayor Jasmin Noremi said.
A village trustee spent the morning trying to calm members of the Haitian community, many of whom have a distrust of police.
"Why, why, why this happen?" an area resident said. "Because he's not stable, he's not a stable guy. He's always on the street talking to everybody, but I've never seen him get violent."
The incident remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
spring valley, police shooting, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 10 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Oklahoma residents begin hard recovery after tornado
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured 31 min ago
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma