Northern Suburbs News
Police fatally shoot man in Spring Valley parking lot
SPRING VALLEY (WABC) -- A man was fatally shot, apparently by police, in a Spring Valley parking lot early Wednesday.
The man, a Haitian immigrant, was pronounced dead following the shooting, off East Furman Place, just after 3:30 a.m. Wednesday. The victim was identified as 37-year-old Herve Jules, who was known to frequent the area.
"I know he smokes, drinks," an area resident said. "And when he does, he acts stupid."
The shooting was in a parking lot of the Spring Valley transportation center.
Police say they were called to investigate a disturbance at a bar called El Buen Gusto around 3 a.m. According to police, Jules was armed with a stick and began attacking an officer, who then opened fire. But others say Jules was running away.
There is no further comment from police or the mayor, who admitted she knew the shooting victim.
"I'm very sad about the news, but I cannot elaborate too much because the matter is under investigation," Mayor Jasmin Noremi said.
A village trustee spent the morning trying to calm members of the Haitian community, many of whom have a distrust of police.
"Why, why, why this happen?" an area resident said. "Because he's not stable, he's not a stable guy. He's always on the street talking to everybody, but I've never seen him get violent."
The incident remains under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
spring valley, police shooting, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 49 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos