Northern Suburbs News
Hate crimes investigated in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police in Yonkers are investigating five religious hate crimes.
The incidents happened at home on Palisade Avenue and Park Avenue as well as at Sacred Heart Church.
Christmas decorations, specifically Nativity scenes were desecrated, police said.
In four of these cases a statue of the Virgin Mary was painted black.
At Sacred Heart Church, a statue of the Virgin was stolen from outside and several statues inside were painted black.
Police don't know how many people were involved or when the vandalism occurred.
One homeowner had a surveillance camera and police plan to review the video on Tuesday.
The Detective Division is actively investigating these crimes. Anyone with information can contact them at 914-377-7724.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, crime, hate crime, vandalism, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help 53 min ago
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday 18 min ago
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma 1 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Oklahoma tornado death toll revised to 24,...
26 min ago