Northern Suburbs News
Hate crimes investigated in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police in Yonkers are investigating five religious hate crimes.
The incidents happened at home on Palisade Avenue and Park Avenue as well as at Sacred Heart Church.
Christmas decorations, specifically Nativity scenes were desecrated, police said.
In four of these cases a statue of the Virgin Mary was painted black.
At Sacred Heart Church, a statue of the Virgin was stolen from outside and several statues inside were painted black.
Police don't know how many people were involved or when the vandalism occurred.
One homeowner had a surveillance camera and police plan to review the video on Tuesday.
The Detective Division is actively investigating these crimes. Anyone with information can contact them at 914-377-7724.
yonkers, crime, hate crime, vandalism, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43 14 min ago
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos