Northern Suburbs News
Hate crimes investigated in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police in Yonkers are investigating five religious hate crimes.
The incidents happened at home on Palisade Avenue and Park Avenue as well as at Sacred Heart Church.
Christmas decorations, specifically Nativity scenes were desecrated, police said.
In four of these cases a statue of the Virgin Mary was painted black.
At Sacred Heart Church, a statue of the Virgin was stolen from outside and several statues inside were painted black.
Police don't know how many people were involved or when the vandalism occurred.
One homeowner had a surveillance camera and police plan to review the video on Tuesday.
The Detective Division is actively investigating these crimes. Anyone with information can contact them at 914-377-7724.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, crime, hate crime, vandalism, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos