Northern Suburbs News
Flight mix-up temporarily misplaces child
DANBURY, Conn. (WABC) -- A flight mix-up left a local family desperate to find a 9-year-old girl.
The girl boarded a plane in Tennessee to visit her grandparents for the holidays, but when the flight arrived at LaGuardia she wasn't on it.
Chloe Boyce is OK, playing with her dolls at her grandmother's house in Connecticut.
"I never want to have that feeling again, for 5 minutes, or minutes," said Maryann Dishuk, Chloe's grandmother.
Her grandmother won't forget the feeling she had on Tuesday when she thought her 9-year-old granddaughter was missing.
"My heart sunk," Dishuk said.
Chloe was traveling alone on Southwest Airlines, heading from Nashville to LaGuardia Airport.
The flight had planned stops in Columbus and Baltimore.
But suddenly because of the bad weather in the Midwest, her flight plan changed.
Eventually, a southwest flight attendant told her she had to get off the plane in Baltimore.
"Holy cow, I'm not supposed to get off here, I'm supposed to get off at LaGuardia," Chloe Boyce said.
She got off, but no one with the airline told her mom.
So, when she didn't show in New York, well that's when grandma and mom back in Tennessee began to worry, because for about an hour no one knew where Chloe was.
It was a long, excruciating hour for the family as Southwest officials didn't seem to know where Chloe was.
"It was like the scariest moment of my life to think that they didn't know where she was," said Elena Kerr, Chloe's mother. It turns out they had booked the 9-year-old on another flight without telling her family.
In a statement, a spokesman for the airline said, "Our unaccompanied minor policy does not include the contacting of guardians when a flight is delayed or rerouted but we typically do our best to keep guardians notified."
Southwest has apologized to the family and they say they are investigating.
"We're just happy she's home. She's here," Dishuk said.
Chloe is safe and sound at her grandmother's house for Christmas.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, air travel, northern suburbs news, jeff pegues
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 9 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos