Northern Suburbs News
Fire safety tips in wake of Stamford tragedy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The tragedy in Stamford is a wake-up call for all us and brings home the importance of working smoke alarms and fire safety.
Two minutes. That's how long it took for hot embers tossed into a plastic household garbage can to catch fire.
It's the same kind of plastic pail used by many homeowners to discard their fireplace ashes which is a bad idea.
"A good option is a metal bucket like this. You are going to put your ashes in, put a little bit of water in it and keep it ten feet from the house. You don't to put it on your deck, your porch or in your garage," said Chief Neil Caputo, West County Fire Services.
Another important safety tip is to have an escape plan that includes two exits, and then, practice the plan.
Investigators in Stamford said two of the victims lost their way as they tried to exit the burning home.
"If you come in and out of the back kitchen door of your house, when trouble strikes, you'll walk right past the front door to get to the back door," said Dep. Chief F.J. Spinelli, Hartsdale Fire Department.
Once outside, head to a pre-established meeting place for everyone to gather.
And once you're out, stay out. Do not go back inside for any reason.
"Unfortunately many members of the public don't know how to stay out, because they begin to think about their personal belongings all of which can be replaced," Spinelli said.
Lastly, investigators said hard-wired smoke alarms in the renovated Stamford home had not been hooked up, and it's unclear if battery operated detectors were in place.
It's absolutely essential to remember that smoke detectors save lives.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fire safety, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 21 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 18 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 45 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 58 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
21 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos