Northern Suburbs News
Mailman saves elderly couple from fire
RYE BROOK (WABC) -- A mailman received a hug and a heartfelt thank you from David Uhry, whose elderly parents might not be alive today if not for him.
Jason Dong sprang into action on Wednesday afternoon, rescuing Judy and Gus Uhry from their burning home in Rye Brook. The fire broke out while the couple sat in their living room.
Dong was delivering a package nearby when he heard a smoke detector alarm and Judy Uhry's screams for help. The 80-year old was able to make it outside, but her husband could not. Dong ran into the house and was almost overcome by the smoke and flames.
He was able to grab the walker and with the help of a responding police officer led the 79-year old to safety. The police chief says he's proud of his officer, but also has high praise for the letter carrier, calling him a true hero.
Dong has been a mailman for 12 years. He admits he's still a little shaken up and spent the night worrying about Uhry's. And, he says, he doesn't consider himself a hero.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rye brook, fire, fire rescue, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford 46 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing 56 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos