Northern Suburbs News
Mailman saves elderly couple from fire
RYE BROOK (WABC) -- A mailman received a hug and a heartfelt thank you from David Uhry, whose elderly parents might not be alive today if not for him.
Jason Dong sprang into action on Wednesday afternoon, rescuing Judy and Gus Uhry from their burning home in Rye Brook. The fire broke out while the couple sat in their living room.
Dong was delivering a package nearby when he heard a smoke detector alarm and Judy Uhry's screams for help. The 80-year old was able to make it outside, but her husband could not. Dong ran into the house and was almost overcome by the smoke and flames.
He was able to grab the walker and with the help of a responding police officer led the 79-year old to safety. The police chief says he's proud of his officer, but also has high praise for the letter carrier, calling him a true hero.
Dong has been a mailman for 12 years. He admits he's still a little shaken up and spent the night worrying about Uhry's. And, he says, he doesn't consider himself a hero.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rye brook, fire, fire rescue, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 36 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 29 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Joe Torre heads to Cooperstown 2 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
36 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos