Northern Suburbs News
Roaring fire engulfs old mill site in historic Cornwall
CORNWALL, N.Y. (WABC) -- Firefighters have contained a roaring four-alarm fire at the site of an old mill in Cornwall, north of New York City on Sunday night.
Smoke was visible for miles around the fire.
Police in Orange County said the fire started late Sunday morning.
150 firefighters from 14 different companies worked to subdue the beastly blaze.
Officials said the old mill was a series of connected buildings that house nearly two dozen small businesses.
"There were numerous buildings there and they just kept on catching on fire, one after the other, after the other, exploding, popping down," resident Elena Brodmerkel said.
"You're hearing brick walls pop right now down there. The flames are so intensified, you can hear the flames," resident Dan DeGroat said.
"There's nothing in there now, it was the old packing that did the candy factory. They had to move. That whole section was all ruined by the flood [from Tropical Storm Irene]. So they were all in the midst of cleaning all that section out," business owner Bill Diamond explained.
There are were no deaths or serious injuries.
Cornwall is a community of about 12,000 that dates back to the 1700s mill, about 50 miles north of New York by the Hudson River.
Orange County Fire Investigators will investigate the cause of the fire on Monday morning.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
orange county, cornwall, fire, northern suburbs news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos