Northern Suburbs News
Roaring fire engulfs old mill site in historic Cornwall
CORNWALL, N.Y. (WABC) -- Firefighters have contained a roaring four-alarm fire at the site of an old mill in Cornwall, north of New York City on Sunday night.
Smoke was visible for miles around the fire.
Police in Orange County said the fire started late Sunday morning.
150 firefighters from 14 different companies worked to subdue the beastly blaze.
Officials said the old mill was a series of connected buildings that house nearly two dozen small businesses.
"There were numerous buildings there and they just kept on catching on fire, one after the other, after the other, exploding, popping down," resident Elena Brodmerkel said.
"You're hearing brick walls pop right now down there. The flames are so intensified, you can hear the flames," resident Dan DeGroat said.
"There's nothing in there now, it was the old packing that did the candy factory. They had to move. That whole section was all ruined by the flood [from Tropical Storm Irene]. So they were all in the midst of cleaning all that section out," business owner Bill Diamond explained.
There are were no deaths or serious injuries.
Cornwall is a community of about 12,000 that dates back to the 1700s mill, about 50 miles north of New York by the Hudson River.
Orange County Fire Investigators will investigate the cause of the fire on Monday morning.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
orange county, cornwall, fire, northern suburbs news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 2 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 40 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos