Northern Suburbs News
Mother of boy who brought pot to school arrested
MERIDEN, Conn. -- The mother of a 4-year-old boy who police say pulled nine bags of marijuana out of his pocket at school during snack time has been arrested.
Police say 27-year-old Debra Rivera of Meriden was charged with illegal drug possession, possession with intent to sell and risk of injury to a minor.
Administrators at Hanover Elementary School called police on Tuesday to report the incident.
School Superintendent Mark Benigni says the boy didn't know what he was doing and other children in the class were unaware of what happened. The teacher turned the drugs over to police.
Rivera surrendered to police Friday night and was released on $25,000 bond. She is due in court on Feb. 10.
Rivera did not immediately return a call for comment.
The Department of Children and Families is investigating.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
marijuana, arrest, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 14 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
18 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent...
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
2 min ago