Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers building destroyed by fire
YONKERS (WABC) -- Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire in Yonkers on Monday afternoon.
Flames raged at a six-family house at 33 Lincoln Terrace, with smoke seen from several miles away.
The fire was first reported at 2:22 p.m.
Into the night firefighters still sprayed water on the gutted skeleton of a building that as many as six families called home.
Hours earlier, from Newscopter 7 you could see the ravenous fire devouring the wooden building, smoke and steam rising into the sky above Yonkers.
It was a total loss.
"I lost my laptop, furniture, everything," said Chastity Avila, a resident.
No residents were hurt, but that could have gone much differently as firefighters had to help several to safety.
But residents say, firefighters had trouble getting water on the building, and indeed hoses stretched for blocks to nearby hydrants.
But precious time was lost as some residents tried to put the fire out themselves and thought they had.
31 people (19 adults and 12 children) are being helped by the Red Cross.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news, jim dolan
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 40 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 9 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports 28 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
50 min ago