Northern Suburbs News
New York man charged with raping teenage girl
CLARKSTOWN, New York (WABC) -- Police have arrested a 54-year-old man and charged him in the rape of a 14-year-old girl in Clarkstown, New Jersey.
Tearfully, the mother describing what she calls a terrible discovery in her 14-year-old daughter's room, she found a journal, describing how her daughter was raped.
Authorities say it happened after the girl left her high school in Spring Valley back in January of 2010.
She left for a tutoring program where she worked, and the suspect 54-year-old Jacques Menos, the husband of the woman running that program was allegedly driving the girl around in his car, but her mom never knew what really happened that day, until she read it, in her daughter's diary, this week.
"She was saying, 'we went to ihop, we went to Victoria's Secret at the mall, and then, he brought me to hotel Nyack and have sex with me," she said.
Clarkstown police arrested Menos on Tuesday, and he's now charged with second degree rape.
The young girl's mother told Eyewitness News' Stacey Sager she's concerned because other young girls worked in the same program, separate from this school district at the time, located on Main Street in Spring Valley.
Others who may be just like her daughter.
"I said, 'honey, why did you wait so long to tell us why you let me find out?," adds the mother.
She was too scared to come forward about Menos until now.
He's being held on $100,000 bail.
Police are asking anyone who may have been victimized by the suspect, even if it was years ago to contact Clarkstown Police at 845-639-5835.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, northern suburbs news, stacey sager
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 26 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall