Northern Suburbs News
6-year-old killed in Monticello apartment fire
MONTICELLO, N.Y. (WABC) -- A 6-year-old girl has been killed in an apartment fire in the Catskills.
Balloons, candles and stuffed animals filled the entrance of a second-story Monticello apartment where 6-year-old Victoria Erickson died in a fast-moving fire Sunday night.
"I couldn't even make it up the stairs and then when the firemen got here we kept telling them, 'My daughter's up there, my daughter is up there.' But by that time it was too late. The place was totally engulfed in flames. There was no way she was going to get out," said Dan Erickson, the victim's father.
Investigators believe a kitchen grease fire quickly spread and engulfed the three-bedroom residence at the Monticello garden apartment complex.
Six other children and the girl's mother all made it out alive by jumping off a second story balcony.
Among those who escaped were Josh Robinson's three daughters.
"The mother was stuck on the balcony and she dropped a little kid that was still in there with her and then she jumped off with it, jumped off afterwards," Robinson said.
"Then I tried getting the little girl, but there were already flames. My uncle, he ran up but the flames got in his face," said Kelli Conklin, a neighbor.
The Fire Chief told Eyewitness News his men were on the scene in four minutes.
Furthermore, he told Eyewitness News the village code inspector found working smoke detectors at the apartment building just two months ago, but no one Eyewitness News talked to heard the smoke alarms last night.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
sullivan county, fire, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
21 min ago