Northern Suburbs News
Ramapo police arrest 3 in alleged hate crime case
RAMAPO (WABC) -- Three suspects have been arrested for allegedly attacking a man in Rockland County Monday night in what is being investigated as a hate crime.
Information was relayed to Ramapo police that two male suspects approached the victim from behind and struck him with an unknown object, which might have been a stick or other long thin object. The suspects then ran when the victim began screaming for help.
As officers were responding, one male suspect was seen running away from responding police vehicles. A short foot chase ensued, and the suspect was apprehended in the area of Route 306 and Maple Avenue. The suspect was identified by the victim as one of the persons who struck him.
That person was identified as 18-year-old Stanley Joseph, of Suffern.
Other residents in the area supplied the police with a vehicle description and license plate, which led officers to a residence in Airmont, where 20-year-old Jennifer Amand, also of Suffern, was found and taken into custody.
Qwesi Williams, 19, of Brooklyn, was later arrested in the incident.
Joseph and Williams are charged with first-degree robbery as a hate crime and second-degree assault as a hate crime.
Amand is facing charges of first-degree robbery as a hate crime and making a false statement.
The crime was elevated to a hate crime because the suspects made statements that they were specifically targeting Jewish community members.
The investigation is still ongoing, and further charges are pending.
hate crime, assault, ramapo, rockland county, monsey, northern suburbs news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
28 min ago