Northern Suburbs News
Courthouse gunman opens fire in Middletown
MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. (WABC) -- Officers shot and killed a man armed with a shotgun who opened fire in the lobby of Middletown City Court Wednesday morning.
Officials say Timothy Mulqueen, 43, used a vestibule outside of the Middletown City Court to enter the building with a 12-gauge shotgun.
Authorities said he fired multiple times inside the courthouse on James Street toward New York State Court Officers near the entrance.
Court officers returned fire and shot the suspect. Mulqueen was transported to Orange Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Authorities said one court officer was injured and transported to Orange Regional Medical Center. The officer did not suffer a life threatening injury, officials said.
Two other officers were taken to a hospital for treatment for shock.
Court records show Mulqueen had a pending case involving menacing and other charges after an encounter with Mayor Joseph DeStefano's daughter at the mayor's home last August.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
middletown, orange county, shooting, northern suburbs news
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County 8 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 8 min ago
- No remains found in latest Jimmy Hoffa search 8 min ago
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies 46 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Bear the police dog
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos