Northern Suburbs News
Ex-state Senator Spano pleads guilty to tax charge
WHITE PLAINS -- Former state Sen. Nicholas Spano has pleaded guilty to federal tax evasion.
The Yonkers Republican was once one of New York's most powerful politicians.
He admitted Friday in a White Plains courtroom that he had obstructed tax laws.
He confessed that he failed to report consultant fees and a real estate commission. He also said a corporation he controlled claimed improper deductions.
Spano's plea agreement with prosecutors indicated he is expecting to be sentenced to 12 to 18 months in prison.
Sentencing was set for June 11.
Spano spent 28 years in the state Legislature, rising to assistant majority leader of the Senate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, white plains, northern suburbs news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 46 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 27 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 40 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 26 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
44 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
46 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
40 min ago