Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman's body found after Mount Vernon fire
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Investigators still looking for the cause of the deadly fire that killed a 77-year-old Mount Vernon woman.
The Valentine's Day fire took the life of Rita Valentine and displaced her five grandchildren, as well as 19 other residents from a total of nine families.
Valentine's body was found on a second floor staircase.
Valentine's distraught granddaughter tried to run into the burning building on Tuesday afternoon, but firefighters and police had to restrain her.
A man from the apartment where the fire started suffered burns.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mount vernon, fire, northern suburbs news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- abcnews: Man Shot by FBI Was About to Sign Murder...
- OTRC: 'Man of Steel' trailer, with General Zod
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos