Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman's body found after Mount Vernon fire
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Investigators still looking for the cause of the deadly fire that killed a 77-year-old Mount Vernon woman.
The Valentine's Day fire took the life of Rita Valentine and displaced her five grandchildren, as well as 19 other residents from a total of nine families.
Valentine's body was found on a second floor staircase.
Valentine's distraught granddaughter tried to run into the burning building on Tuesday afternoon, but firefighters and police had to restrain her.
A man from the apartment where the fire started suffered burns.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mount vernon, fire, northern suburbs news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide