Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman's body found after Mount Vernon fire
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Investigators still looking for the cause of the deadly fire that killed a 77-year-old Mount Vernon woman.
The Valentine's Day fire took the life of Rita Valentine and displaced her five grandchildren, as well as 19 other residents from a total of nine families.
Valentine's body was found on a second floor staircase.
Valentine's distraught granddaughter tried to run into the burning building on Tuesday afternoon, but firefighters and police had to restrain her.
A man from the apartment where the fire started suffered burns.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mount vernon, fire, northern suburbs news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon