Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman's body found after Mount Vernon fire
MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Investigators still looking for the cause of the deadly fire that killed a 77-year-old Mount Vernon woman.
The Valentine's Day fire took the life of Rita Valentine and displaced her five grandchildren, as well as 19 other residents from a total of nine families.
Valentine's body was found on a second floor staircase.
Valentine's distraught granddaughter tried to run into the burning building on Tuesday afternoon, but firefighters and police had to restrain her.
A man from the apartment where the fire started suffered burns.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mount vernon, fire, northern suburbs news
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'