Northern Suburbs News
Newburgh man accused of groping child at bus stop
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Police have arrested a 25-year-old Newburgh man who allegedly groped a young girl at a bus stop.
The 10-year-old victim told police a strange man attacked her while she was waiting for her school bus on William Street last Friday.
Detectives investigated the incident and arrested Juan Gabriel Mendoza Wednesday night.
He is charged with first-degree sexual abuse.
Authorities say Mendoza is a repeat offender who was arrested last year for approaching another girl at a school bus stop.
At that time, Newburgh police had said he was a suspect in previous incidents of a similar nature.
On August 4, 2011, Mendoza was arrested after a 9-nine-year old girl reported to Newburgh police that she had been approached by a white male stranger who asked her if he could touch her in a sexual manner.
The girl ran home and told her mother as to what had transpired. The girl again saw Mendoza at a later date and police were able to identify him. He was charged with endangering the welfare of a child in that incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
newburgh, child sex assault, northern suburbs news
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Jersey City reveals what was inside mysterious safes
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos