Northern Suburbs News
Newburgh man accused of groping child at bus stop
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Police have arrested a 25-year-old Newburgh man who allegedly groped a young girl at a bus stop.
The 10-year-old victim told police a strange man attacked her while she was waiting for her school bus on William Street last Friday.
Detectives investigated the incident and arrested Juan Gabriel Mendoza Wednesday night.
He is charged with first-degree sexual abuse.
Authorities say Mendoza is a repeat offender who was arrested last year for approaching another girl at a school bus stop.
At that time, Newburgh police had said he was a suspect in previous incidents of a similar nature.
On August 4, 2011, Mendoza was arrested after a 9-nine-year old girl reported to Newburgh police that she had been approached by a white male stranger who asked her if he could touch her in a sexual manner.
The girl ran home and told her mother as to what had transpired. The girl again saw Mendoza at a later date and police were able to identify him. He was charged with endangering the welfare of a child in that incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
newburgh, child sex assault, northern suburbs news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 57 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 59 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
57 min ago