Northern Suburbs News
College student sexually assaulted in New Paltz
POUGHKEEPSIE (WABC) -- It is unsettling news in an otherwise quiet college town: an attempted sexual assault in New Paltz.
The crime happened early Sunday morning. A female student was walking back to campus around 1:30 when she was approached by an unknown male.
The victim was able to break away from her attacker. She then went up to a nearby patrol car and told police what had happened.
This is the first attempted sexual assault this school year, but there was a similar incident last year.
The attack occurred on Platekill Avenue, which is the major thoroughfare connecting Main Street and the SUNY campus.
There are signs along the route reminding students to be aware of their surroundings.
After the incident an email was sent out to all 8-thousand students informing them and reminding them to take safety precautions.
Anyone with information is urged to call the New Paltz police at 845-255-1357. Calls will be kept confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ulster county, sexual assault, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos