Northern Suburbs News
Teacher accused of selling pot at high school
MONTROSE, N.Y. (WABC) -- There's controversy swirling around Hendrick Hudson High School.
Its principal notified parents that English teacher Tom Oliva was taking an extended leave of absence just as the district was looking into allegations that an unidentified teacher was selling pot on school property.
"He was a good teacher and he doesn't deserve to be brought down to a low level just because of this," said Cameron Rasmussen, a student.
State Police investigated and tell Eyewitness News no students were involved.
But, they didn't file charges because of a lack of evidence and turned their investigation over to the school district, which released this statement: "At this point, we are conducting an internal investigation. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken as warranted at the conclusion of our investigation. Due to the nature of these allegations, we are prohibited from releasing any additional details."
"I think it's unfortunate for our school to always get bad press," a parent said.
"I actually asked to write a recommendation for my son for college since Daniel wanted to study film, and he obliged," said Stacey Marra, a parent.
Stacey Marra says Oliva is her son's English teacher and film club advisor.
"It's all speculation, so we're all just waiting to hear what the school district has to say to clear up some of these rumors," Marra said.
Eyewitness News has been reaching out to school officials, but has been unable to get a response beyond their statement.
However, the Board of Education will be holding a closed door meeting Thursday evening.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
marijuana, teacher, westchester county, northern suburbs news
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring 50 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey