Northern Suburbs News
Mele gets 23 years for death of Laura Garza
GOSHEN -- A New York sex offender was sentenced Tuesday to 23 years in prison for suffocating an aspiring dancer from Texas and dumping her body 85 miles away.
The victim's brother and mother wept in Orange County Court as they told the judge how Garza's death had affected the family.
Garza had moved to Brooklyn from McAllen, Texas, five months before she disappeared. She had hopes of becoming a professional dancer.
On Dec. 3, 2008, a surveillance camera caught Garza and Mele leaving the Marquee nightclub in Manhattan. Mele had several sex-offense convictions and was on parole.
Investigators said the pair drove north 60 miles to Mele's apartment. Garza never came home, and Mele refused to answer questions. He became the prime suspect and was locked up for several parole violations.
Mele's apartment and the surrounding area were exhaustively searched by police and volunteers. But Garza's body was not found until April 2010, when a group of ATV riders near Scranton, Pa., came across what police described as "an intact skeleton."
DNA tests confirmed the identity.
In court during his guilty plea, Mele said that after Garza saw a picture of his girlfriend, "She wanted to leave. ... She started to get a little louder. I put my hand over her mouth and partially her nose, and shortly after that, she stopped yelling, stopped moving, and I realized something bad had happened."
He said he then panicked, "put her in a laundry basket and put a blanket over it." He carried the body to his SUV and drove to Pennsylvania, he said.
Defense lawyer Craig Brown said after the plea that with good behavior, Mele could be out in less than 20 years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
michael mele, laura garza, murder, northern suburbs news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos