Northern Suburbs News
Cops fatally shoot knife-wielding man in Newburgh
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Police officers in Orange County shot and killed a suspect who they say came at them with a knife.
The shooting happened in Newburgh around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Officers initially tried to stop 22-year-old Michael Lembhard for an outstanding warrant that his family said was for missing a court date. Police reportedly spotted him on Liberty Street, but he took off when they approached him.
After they followed him into an apartment building at 55 Liberty Street, police say he charged at them with a knife in his hand. That's when four officers reportedly opened fire and killed Lembhard.
The officers were not hurt and are on paid leave while the incident is investigated.
Lembhard's family said police broke down the door without a warrant, that Lembhard only had a small pocketknife and that at least nine shots were fired.
Lembhard was a father of two, and the family claims officers pointed a gun at the head of one of the children. Police are not commenting on that part of the story.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
police shooting, newburgh, orange county, northern suburbs news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 59 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 59 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
52 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos