Northern Suburbs News
Arson victim's car torched in New Square
NEW SQUARE (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a suspicious car fire involving a dissident member of the Hasidic community in New Square.
Police were called to the scene of the burning car, belonging to Aron Rottenberg, just before 11 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in the gray 2003 Mazda and determined that the fire was intentionally set.
Rottenberg was targeted and seriously burned in a May arson attack. He said he was attacked because he refused to pray in Grand Rabbi David Twersky's synagogue.
Eighteen-year-old Shaul Spitzer pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the attack on Rottenberg on Feb. 7. Ramapo police say Rottenberg does not believe Thursday's arson was related to the earlier attack.
No injuries were reported.
The incident is currently under investigation by the Ramapo Police Department Detective Bureau as well as the Rockland County Sheriff Arson Unit.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, fire, arson, northern suburbs news
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday 37 min ago
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport 32 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Records: Man in movie theater shooting also was texting
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court 37 min ago
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday 57 min ago