Northern Suburbs News
Arson victim's car torched in New Square
NEW SQUARE (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a suspicious car fire involving a dissident member of the Hasidic community in New Square.
Police were called to the scene of the burning car, belonging to Aron Rottenberg, just before 11 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in the gray 2003 Mazda and determined that the fire was intentionally set.
Rottenberg was targeted and seriously burned in a May arson attack. He said he was attacked because he refused to pray in Grand Rabbi David Twersky's synagogue.
Eighteen-year-old Shaul Spitzer pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the attack on Rottenberg on Feb. 7. Ramapo police say Rottenberg does not believe Thursday's arson was related to the earlier attack.
No injuries were reported.
The incident is currently under investigation by the Ramapo Police Department Detective Bureau as well as the Rockland County Sheriff Arson Unit.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, fire, arson, northern suburbs news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos