Northern Suburbs News
Arson victim's car torched in New Square
NEW SQUARE (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a suspicious car fire involving a dissident member of the Hasidic community in New Square.
Police were called to the scene of the burning car, belonging to Aron Rottenberg, just before 11 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in the gray 2003 Mazda and determined that the fire was intentionally set.
Rottenberg was targeted and seriously burned in a May arson attack. He said he was attacked because he refused to pray in Grand Rabbi David Twersky's synagogue.
Eighteen-year-old Shaul Spitzer pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the attack on Rottenberg on Feb. 7. Ramapo police say Rottenberg does not believe Thursday's arson was related to the earlier attack.
No injuries were reported.
The incident is currently under investigation by the Ramapo Police Department Detective Bureau as well as the Rockland County Sheriff Arson Unit.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, fire, arson, northern suburbs news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 49 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
53 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent...
49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
37 min ago