Northern Suburbs News
Arson victim's car torched in New Square
NEW SQUARE (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a suspicious car fire involving a dissident member of the Hasidic community in New Square.
Police were called to the scene of the burning car, belonging to Aron Rottenberg, just before 11 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in the gray 2003 Mazda and determined that the fire was intentionally set.
Rottenberg was targeted and seriously burned in a May arson attack. He said he was attacked because he refused to pray in Grand Rabbi David Twersky's synagogue.
Eighteen-year-old Shaul Spitzer pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the attack on Rottenberg on Feb. 7. Ramapo police say Rottenberg does not believe Thursday's arson was related to the earlier attack.
No injuries were reported.
The incident is currently under investigation by the Ramapo Police Department Detective Bureau as well as the Rockland County Sheriff Arson Unit.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, fire, arson, northern suburbs news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ