Northern Suburbs News
Arson victim's car torched in New Square
NEW SQUARE (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a suspicious car fire involving a dissident member of the Hasidic community in New Square.
Police were called to the scene of the burning car, belonging to Aron Rottenberg, just before 11 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in the gray 2003 Mazda and determined that the fire was intentionally set.
Rottenberg was targeted and seriously burned in a May arson attack. He said he was attacked because he refused to pray in Grand Rabbi David Twersky's synagogue.
Eighteen-year-old Shaul Spitzer pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the attack on Rottenberg on Feb. 7. Ramapo police say Rottenberg does not believe Thursday's arson was related to the earlier attack.
No injuries were reported.
The incident is currently under investigation by the Ramapo Police Department Detective Bureau as well as the Rockland County Sheriff Arson Unit.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ramapo, fire, arson, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 31 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment 24 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 50 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California 42 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos