Northern Suburbs News
Chaos breaks out at Newburgh PD shooting presser
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- A news conference over a deadly police-involved shooting in Newburgh turned into a heated screaming match Friday morning.
There was raw emotion and heckling, but most of all there was anger on display. The briefing was held in a public forum: at Newburgh City Council Chambers and quickly devolved into a shouting match.
Family members and community activists are demanding answers in the shooting death of Michael Lembhard.
The 22-year old was shot to death by police Wednesday night. Authorities confirm Lembhard was shot multiple times, but how many is still not clear.
Lembhard ran into his sister's apartment while being chased by four officers trying to arrest him on outstanding warrants.
The family says police should have used non-lethal force such a taser gun to subdue lembhard.
The chief of police said that wasn't possible. Authorities said a grand jury will decide whether the officers involved acted properly.
The family says they have no faith in the district attorney or police department.
An emergency meeting of the Newburgh City Council has been called for tonight to discuss and vote on a proposed resolution requesting a special prosecutor appointed by Governor Andrew Cuomo to handle the case. The meeting will be held at 6:00 p.m. in the third-floor City Council Chambers, 83 Broadway
Lembhard's family said police broke down the door without a warrant and that at least nine shots were fired.
They claim he was murdered by rogue officers while he was already on the ground, and that officers are lying to cover up the cops' illegal actions.
Lembhard was a father of two, and the family claims officers pointed a gun at the head of one of the children. Police are not commenting on that part of the story.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
police shooting, newburgh, orange county, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers