Northern Suburbs News
Chaos breaks out at Newburgh PD shooting presser
NEWBURGH (WABC) -- A news conference over a deadly police-involved shooting in Newburgh turned into a heated screaming match Friday morning.
There was raw emotion and heckling, but most of all there was anger on display. The briefing was held in a public forum: at Newburgh City Council Chambers and quickly devolved into a shouting match.
Family members and community activists are demanding answers in the shooting death of Michael Lembhard.
The 22-year old was shot to death by police Wednesday night. Authorities confirm Lembhard was shot multiple times, but how many is still not clear.
Lembhard ran into his sister's apartment while being chased by four officers trying to arrest him on outstanding warrants.
The family says police should have used non-lethal force such a taser gun to subdue lembhard.
The chief of police said that wasn't possible. Authorities said a grand jury will decide whether the officers involved acted properly.
The family says they have no faith in the district attorney or police department.
An emergency meeting of the Newburgh City Council has been called for tonight to discuss and vote on a proposed resolution requesting a special prosecutor appointed by Governor Andrew Cuomo to handle the case. The meeting will be held at 6:00 p.m. in the third-floor City Council Chambers, 83 Broadway
Lembhard's family said police broke down the door without a warrant and that at least nine shots were fired.
They claim he was murdered by rogue officers while he was already on the ground, and that officers are lying to cover up the cops' illegal actions.
Lembhard was a father of two, and the family claims officers pointed a gun at the head of one of the children. Police are not commenting on that part of the story.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
police shooting, newburgh, orange county, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 50 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
50 min ago