Northern Suburbs News
8 West Point cadets hurt in crash
BENTON, Pa. -- Several cadets from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in New York were injured when their van crashed in Pennsylvania after a boxing competition, officials said Friday.
State police said the van carrying nine cadets flipped after swerving to miss a car that had illegally used a cross-over path for emergency vehicles. The crash happened around 8 p.m. Thursday on westbound Interstate 80 in Sugarloaf Township, Luzerne County.
The nine cadets in the van were members of the boxing team leaving the East Regional Championship competition at Penn State, the West Point public affairs office said in a written statement.
The van's driver wasn't hurt. West Point said Friday that seven of the eight injured passengers were treated and released from local hospitals by late Friday morning, with the eighth cadet expected to be released soon thereafter, West Point said.
The accident remains under investigation. The other driver left the scene, state police said.
Authorities urged anyone with information on the identity of the other driver, or the location of the other vehicle that used the cross-over road, to contact state police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
accident, northern suburbs news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 59 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
59 min ago