Northern Suburbs News
8 West Point cadets hurt in crash
BENTON, Pa. -- Several cadets from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in New York were injured when their van crashed in Pennsylvania after a boxing competition, officials said Friday.
State police said the van carrying nine cadets flipped after swerving to miss a car that had illegally used a cross-over path for emergency vehicles. The crash happened around 8 p.m. Thursday on westbound Interstate 80 in Sugarloaf Township, Luzerne County.
The nine cadets in the van were members of the boxing team leaving the East Regional Championship competition at Penn State, the West Point public affairs office said in a written statement.
The van's driver wasn't hurt. West Point said Friday that seven of the eight injured passengers were treated and released from local hospitals by late Friday morning, with the eighth cadet expected to be released soon thereafter, West Point said.
The accident remains under investigation. The other driver left the scene, state police said.
Authorities urged anyone with information on the identity of the other driver, or the location of the other vehicle that used the cross-over road, to contact state police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
accident, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 9 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 7 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
16 min ago