Northern Suburbs News
8 West Point cadets hurt in crash
BENTON, Pa. -- Several cadets from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in New York were injured when their van crashed in Pennsylvania after a boxing competition, officials said Friday.
State police said the van carrying nine cadets flipped after swerving to miss a car that had illegally used a cross-over path for emergency vehicles. The crash happened around 8 p.m. Thursday on westbound Interstate 80 in Sugarloaf Township, Luzerne County.
The nine cadets in the van were members of the boxing team leaving the East Regional Championship competition at Penn State, the West Point public affairs office said in a written statement.
The van's driver wasn't hurt. West Point said Friday that seven of the eight injured passengers were treated and released from local hospitals by late Friday morning, with the eighth cadet expected to be released soon thereafter, West Point said.
The accident remains under investigation. The other driver left the scene, state police said.
Authorities urged anyone with information on the identity of the other driver, or the location of the other vehicle that used the cross-over road, to contact state police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
accident, northern suburbs news
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 51 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab on Belt 38 min ago
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos