Northern Suburbs News
Sex offender living in trailer on government property
CARMEL, N.Y. (WABC) -- Residents in Carmel are expressing outrage over a registered sex offender allowed to live on government property near a karate school for children.
This is the second controversy involving sex offenders and their proximity to children in Putnam County.
The Eyewitness News investigators last month uncovered another paroled sex offender who was allowed to live near a daycare and nursery school in Carmel.
Putnam's social services commissioner admits the setup isn't ideal, but says he's out of options. This week the county rented and set up this trailer to house a paroled sex offender. Hans Kaschura, 26, moved in on Tuesday after officials tried for weeks without success to rent him an apartment.
Kaschura was convicted of having sex with a 6-year old girl. He's classified as a Level 3 offender, designated as sexually violent. Under the law, Putnam County is required to provide housing for homeless pedophiles. The trailer is set up in a lot behind county office buildings. Workers wouldn't go on camera, but have expressed concerns through their union.
This is the second time in weeks officials have run into difficulty housing a sex offender. Lance Smith was placed in an apartment near a day care facility, a nursery school and a children's learning center.
In Kaschura's case there are no public schools or parks nearby, but there is a karate school that runs an after-school program with as many as 300 kids. Its owners received notification from the police department.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
sex offender, putnam county, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ