Northern Suburbs News
Repeat accused drunk driver seriously injures man
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WABC) -- For the second time in as many months, a driver was arrested for driving drunk, but the second time she seriously injured a 79-year-old man.
"Very frustrating, very frustrating, when we were doing our job, said Mark Fracassini, of Fairfield, Connecticut Police Department.
Officer Fracassini was one of the first officers on scene Friday night around 8 when the 79-year-old victim was hit, police say, by 34-year-old Kristin Osterberg.
The car was severely damaged.
Police say Osterberg measured more than two times the legal alcohol limit, admitted to drinking, and that there was even an open beer in the front seat.
The victim's head and shoulder hit the windshield and roof support and his body cracked the front of the car, hood and bumper.
"I just saw the car, how does it affect you knowing a person's body did that?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Upsetting especially since he was hit by someone who shouldn't have been driving in the first place," Officer Fracassini said.
Police say the drunk driver speeding when she hit the innocent 79-year-old victim and either dragged or threw him 40 feet.
"This is a person who should not have been driving," said Sgt. Suzanne Lussier, of the Fairfield Police Department.
Sgt. Suzanne Lussier says it was just six weeks ago that Osterberg was picked up for the first DUI, then a month later she was issued a work permit to drive between 8 a.m. and 4p.m.
"Obviously, out there hours after she was to be mandated by court," Sgt. Lussier said.
Eyewitness News went to Osterberg's home in Bridgeport. There was no answer at the door, or returned calls by phone.
It's a tough situation for police, who did everything by the book.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fairfield, connecticut, drunk driving, northern suburbs news, michelle charlesworth
- South Plainfield High School on lockdown 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 3 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 37 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 11 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3...
11 min ago