Northern Suburbs News
Condo group says Jewish woman can keep mezuzah
STRATFORD -- A condominium association that ordered a Jewish woman in Stratford to remove a religious symbol from her doorway is now apologizing for what it calls a misunderstanding and says the symbol can stay.
The California Condominium Association ordered Barbara Cadranel to remove the mezuzah last week and warned that she faced a $50 penalty for each day it remained because the condo board hadn't approved it. A mezuzah is a decorative box containing a religious scroll that a Jewish family attaches to its front doorpost.
The association's lawyer, Kurt Ahlberg, says board members didn't know what a mezuzah was. He says Cadranel won't be fined.
Cadranel and Jewish groups had said they were outraged by the association's order, especially since her neighbors had crosses and Easter decorations on their doors.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013