Northern Suburbs News
Police ID cop who shot 68-year-old man
WHITE PLAINS -- Police have identified the officer who shot and killed a 68-year-old man last year in his White Plains apartment.
White Plains police Commissioner David Chong says the shooter was Officer Anthony Carelli. He said his department is cooperating with the Westchester County district attorney's office.
No one has been charged. A grand jury is expected to take up the case next week.
The victim was Kenneth Chamberlain Sr. He was killed after his medical alert pendant went off and police followed an ambulance to his apartment. Chong said at the time that Chamberlain attacked officers with a hatchet and a butcher knife.
An online petition demanding an investigation has gathered nearly 200,000 signatures since the killing of teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night 57 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days 12 min ago
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported 52 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- Bruins top Rangers 5-2 44 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
57 min ago