Northern Suburbs News
Dozens of dead animals found on side of road
HAWTHORNE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Dozens of dead animals, many of them household pets, were found dumped in garbage bags on the side of the road in Hawthorne.
Some of the pets were dumped many, many months ago, perhaps even up to a year.
Others were left much more recently.
We want to warn you: the photos you're about to see are disturbing and hard to watch, but if viewers recognize their lost pets here, at least it'll help detectives know where to start their footwork.
Spring roadside cleaning turned truly disgusting Thursday when Department of Transportation workers in Harrison stumbled upon a disturbing makeshift graveyard of animals.
The discovery was made on the Westchester Avenue entrance ramp onto the northbound side of the Hutchinson River Parkway.
While cleaning the usual roadside litter from a bushy area, workers noticed a bunch of discarded black garbage bags.
What they found inside turned their stomachs.
These are some of the more presentable photos but even then the more gruesome parts of the carcasses have been cropped out.
All told, workers and police found 25 bags filled with 35 animals, mostly cats, dogs and one lizard.
Some of the pets were so decomposed there were only bones and fur left.
Others were in the process of rotting and were covered with bugs.
And then there were those shown in the pictures which looked like they had died only recently.
Investigators have contacted local police to see if there's been a rash of stolen pets in the area.
Meanwhile they hope testing on some of the animals can determine how they died.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
animals, westchester county, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 26 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl 24 min ago
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport 34 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse 35 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Two women hold top 2 spots in Newark Police Department
- Former Gov. Jon Corzine's son dies
- Photos: $2.35 million 'Modern Family' home for sale