Northern Suburbs News
New Haven officers charged with illegally firing guns
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Three police officers were arrested on charges of interfering with a police officer, and two of them were charged with unlawfully discharging their guns.
The arrests followed an investigation into a claim that one or more off-duty officers illegally fired guns early Sunday outside a bar. No injuries were reported.
Police said Friday that Officers Lawrence Burns and Charles Kim were charged with interfering with a police officer, unlawful discharge of a firearm and reckless endangerment, while Officer Krzystof Ruszczyk was charged with interfering with a police officer. They were placed on administrative leave and were ordered to surrender their weapons.
The interfering charge was because the officers left the scene after they were told by a responding officer to remain, police spokesman Officer David Hartman said. The officers were not firing their guns at anyone, he said.
Police say they voluntarily surrendered and are due in court April 20 for arraignment.
It was unclear if the officers had attorneys. A message was left with the police union.
Mayor John DeStefano called the officers' behavior "unacceptable."
"It is not representative of the hard work and commitment of the men and women of the police department," he said. "The police department's action is appropriate."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
police officer arrested, connecticut, new haven, northern suburbs news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 28 min ago
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 49 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 31 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 40 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
3 min ago