Northern Suburbs News
Long Island man arrested in Catskills fire
WAWARSING -- Authorities have charged a Long Island man with starting the brush fire that destroyed or damaged more than 40 buildings at the former Catskills resort he was in the process of buying.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that officials in Ulster County have charged 56-year-old Lance Muckenhaupt of New Hyde Park with arson and burning brush without a permit. The newspaper reports he was taken into custody on Monday, a day after hundreds of firefighters doused the blaze at the Tamarack Lodge in Wawarsing, 75 miles northwest of New York City.
Officials say the fire started when Muckenhaupt burned debris outdoors on Saturday afternoon. The fire burned out of control, destroying the old lodge, several bungalows, homes and other buildings.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
ulster county, fire, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 21 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 22 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 5 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
22 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
39 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos