Northern Suburbs News
Conn. boy, 6, killed by wood chipper
SALEM, Conn. (WABC) -- A 6-year-old boy helping his father on a landscaping job during school vacation was killed Tuesday after getting pulled into a wood chipper, state police said.
Jeffrey Bourgeois was putting a branch in the chipper at about 8:45 a.m. when it yanked him into the machine after his father momentarily turned his back, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman. The accident happened at a home in Salem, a town of about 4,000 people nearly 30 miles southeast of Hartford.
Vance said the accident was so terrible that grief counselors were called to the scene.
"The little guy was apparently trying to help his dad," Vance said. "It's a very tragic and difficult scene for everybody."
Jeffrey and his two older siblings were with their father, Scott Bourgeois, who owns C&S Tree Removal. The family lives in Salem, less than a half-mile from where the accident happened.
Jeffrey was a first-grader at Salem Elementary School, where he was honored in the school newsletter with a "Caught Being Good" award in December.
Jeffrey and his family also enjoyed running in road races. In the Salem Kids 1 Mile Race in April 2011, he finished 45th with a time of 12:32, according to thelastmileracing.com.
The town's fire chief, Eugene Maiorano, was the first emergency responder to the accident.
"We're getting counseling for the family," Maiorano told WTNH-TV. "The family lives right across the street from me so I was the first on the scene. Saw that we had basically kept everybody away."
Salem First Selectman Kevin Lynden called Tuesday "a very, very sad day for our Salem residents. This was a Salem family, very good family in town, a well-known family. Our hearts and prayers go out to them."
The interim superintendent of Salem schools, Kaye Griffin, said a school would open during vacation week to provide counseling to students accompanied by parents. She said the school system is also developing plans to offer counseling for students and staff members when classes resume next week.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, child death, northern suburbs news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 17 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 34 min ago
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
2 min ago