Northern Suburbs News
False alarm briefly shuts down Westchester airport
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Westchester County Airport was briefly shut down after a suspicious item in a checked bag triggered an alarm.
Westchester County Police told The Journal News in White Plains (http://lohud.us/HKSrr1 ) the airport was closed for nearly 90 minutes Sunday night.
Authorities say two flights were diverted, 13 flights were delayed and about 350 people were evacuated from the terminal before the suspicious item turned out to be a false alarm.
There were no arrests or charges.
The airport is 30 miles north of New York City.
It serves nearly 2 million passengers annually.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
white plains, westchester county, airport security, northern suburbs news
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers