Northern Suburbs News
False alarm briefly shuts down Westchester airport
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Westchester County Airport was briefly shut down after a suspicious item in a checked bag triggered an alarm.
Westchester County Police told The Journal News in White Plains (http://lohud.us/HKSrr1 ) the airport was closed for nearly 90 minutes Sunday night.
Authorities say two flights were diverted, 13 flights were delayed and about 350 people were evacuated from the terminal before the suspicious item turned out to be a false alarm.
There were no arrests or charges.
The airport is 30 miles north of New York City.
It serves nearly 2 million passengers annually.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
white plains, westchester county, airport security, northern suburbs news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow for some 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos