Northern Suburbs News
False alarm briefly shuts down Westchester airport
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Westchester County Airport was briefly shut down after a suspicious item in a checked bag triggered an alarm.
Westchester County Police told The Journal News in White Plains (http://lohud.us/HKSrr1 ) the airport was closed for nearly 90 minutes Sunday night.
Authorities say two flights were diverted, 13 flights were delayed and about 350 people were evacuated from the terminal before the suspicious item turned out to be a false alarm.
There were no arrests or charges.
The airport is 30 miles north of New York City.
It serves nearly 2 million passengers annually.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
white plains, westchester county, airport security, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation