Northern Suburbs News
False alarm briefly shuts down Westchester airport
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Westchester County Airport was briefly shut down after a suspicious item in a checked bag triggered an alarm.
Westchester County Police told The Journal News in White Plains (http://lohud.us/HKSrr1 ) the airport was closed for nearly 90 minutes Sunday night.
Authorities say two flights were diverted, 13 flights were delayed and about 350 people were evacuated from the terminal before the suspicious item turned out to be a false alarm.
There were no arrests or charges.
The airport is 30 miles north of New York City.
It serves nearly 2 million passengers annually.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
white plains, westchester county, airport security, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach 44 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
30 min ago