Northern Suburbs News
Coyote warning in Westchester County
TARRYTOWN, N.Y. (WABC) -- There's a coyote warning in Westchester County after several were seen near a condo complex. A bobcat was also seen in the area too.
Police are advising people to keep young children and small pets inside in Tarrytown.
"A cat with a small head, long legs, a tail that goes up and has small striping on it," described Joanne Vale, Westchester County resident.
Based on that description, what Joanne Vale came face to face with last week was a bobcat.
The felines prey on small animals and rodents and usually leave humans alone.
Still, Vale who was babysitting her two small grandchildren says she was startled.
The bobcat population is growing in lower Westchester.
The sighting was the second in two days in Kimberly Frankel's backyard.
Coyotes are more common in Westchester, but a recent incident in which a 6-year-old was chased by one has some Tarrytown residents on edge.
The incident last month occurred at the Edgemont Condo Complex.
At least one coyote was caught on camera, though none were caught in traps set up around the property's 27 acres.
Coyotes typically don't pose a threat to people unless they're sick, as was the case in Rye Brook two years ago.
Still, experts say there are some things to keep in mind, like not feeding the animals.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, animals, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 52 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident