Northern Suburbs News
Coyote warning in Westchester County
TARRYTOWN, N.Y. (WABC) -- There's a coyote warning in Westchester County after several were seen near a condo complex. A bobcat was also seen in the area too.
Police are advising people to keep young children and small pets inside in Tarrytown.
"A cat with a small head, long legs, a tail that goes up and has small striping on it," described Joanne Vale, Westchester County resident.
Based on that description, what Joanne Vale came face to face with last week was a bobcat.
The felines prey on small animals and rodents and usually leave humans alone.
Still, Vale who was babysitting her two small grandchildren says she was startled.
The bobcat population is growing in lower Westchester.
The sighting was the second in two days in Kimberly Frankel's backyard.
Coyotes are more common in Westchester, but a recent incident in which a 6-year-old was chased by one has some Tarrytown residents on edge.
The incident last month occurred at the Edgemont Condo Complex.
At least one coyote was caught on camera, though none were caught in traps set up around the property's 27 acres.
Coyotes typically don't pose a threat to people unless they're sick, as was the case in Rye Brook two years ago.
Still, experts say there are some things to keep in mind, like not feeding the animals.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, animals, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos