Northern Suburbs News
Teen dies at school for kids with behavioral problems
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police in Westchester County are investigating the death of a teenager at a school for students with emotional difficulties.
Officers were called to the Carol and Frank Biondi Education Center of Leake and Watts in Yonkers around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Police say a 16-year-old, identified as Corey Foster, was playing basketball when he became involved in a dispute. School officials broke up the fight and briefly restrained Foster, and he fell unconscious and went into cardiac arrest. Foster was quickly attended to by a doctor and nurse, who were on call and present at the location.
Officers also attempted to resuscitate Foster, who was rushed to St. Joseph's Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
The boy was reportedly a resident of the not-for-profit facility.
Police say there is no evidence to suggest that any mechanical restraints were used by school personnel.
Leake and Watts issued the following statement regarding the incident:
"Last evening, a 16-year old resident of the Residential Treatment Center died following basketball play at the school gymnasium. Many staff and residents were present at this recreational activity. As soon as there was any indication that the young man needed medical intervention, on campus medical personnel and 911 were summoned immediately.
"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our hearts go out to this young man's family and all who loved him.
"At this time we cannot speak to any of the details of the cause of his death pending the outcome of the police and medical examiner's investigations.
"We are fully cooperating with these investigations and will continue to do so going forward. At this time, out of respect for his family and their privacy, we will not be releasing any personal details of this young man.
The loss of any life, especially one so young, is heart wrenching. We all mourn the tragic death of this young man."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, westchester county, teenager, northern suburbs news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen