Northern Suburbs News
Florida woman goes on trial in hotel-heir killing
WHITE PLAINS -- A defense lawyer is suggesting that the killing of a Florida millionaire was orchestrated by his stepdaughter, not his wife.
Defense attorney Howard Tanner gave his opening statement Monday at the murder trial of Narcy Novack of Fort Lauderdale. She is charged in the 2009 killing of her husband, Ben Novack Jr.
Ben Novack's father built the storied Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach.
Tanner noted that if Narcy Novack is convicted, the multimillion-dollar family estate would go to her daughter, May Abad, and Abad's sons.
He said that gave her a motive to have Ben Novack killed.
Abad's lawyer did not return a call seeking comment.
The prosecution said earlier that Narcy Novack may have been motivated by a prenuptial agreement that would limit her share of the estate to $65,000 if she were divorced.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
white plains, murder, northern suburbs news
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings 22 min ago
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat 46 min ago
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy 39 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake' 48 min ago