Northern Suburbs News
Parents demand answers after son's death at school
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- For Sheila and Andre Foster, the grief of losing their son has become a search for answers.
Corey Foster, 16, had been a resident at the Leake-Watts School for young people with emotional problems. On April 18th, following a basketball session in the school gym, he was restrained by several staff members under circumstances that are still unclear.
"But the day of, they told us he fainted after playing basketball," Sheila Foster, his mother, said.
"That was the call we got," said Andre Foster, his father.
The Rehab Center paid for Corey's funeral and the parents have expressed their gratitude, but the Fosters and their attorney are questioning whether that gesture was the first step in an attempted cover-up.
"If they would have come forward and said, 'this was an accident', you know, 'tragic', we'd have to accept that because it was an accident. But they have been behind the walls and they haven't told us anything," Andre Foster said.
The Fosters want to see surveillance video, which apparently recorded the events that led to Corey's death.
"We understand that there's a criminal investigation ongoing, however, the family has a right to know, and the family has a right to see the last few moments of their son's life," attorney Jacob Oresky said.
The Westchester District Attorney's Office has not responded to our request for information, and no one at the school was available to us. The staff members at Leake-Watts have been placed on leave, while the investigation continues.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
student injury, westchester county, northern suburbs news, art mcfarland
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
20 min ago