Northern Suburbs News
Larchmont mourns veteran police captain
LARCHMONT (WABC) -- Captain Thomas Sullivan was the executive officer, the number two in command in the Larchmont Police Department. His death was deeply felt among the many who knew him.
"We're all just stunned at the loss. Absolutely stunned. And the circumstances are just beyond belief," Larchmont Mayor Anne McAndrews said.
McAndrews, who knew Sullivan simply as Tommy, now mourns his tragic death. Around Larchmont, he honed his police skills and connected with the community, people say, in a very personal way.
Flower shop owner Liz Alfieri has known Sullivan for years, and says he was a fine man with a big heart.
"It's sad," she said. "It's very sad."
Sullivan joined the Larchmont Police Department in 1992 and rose through the ranks to captain and executive officer. However, others in the Sound Shore community remember what they describe as his outgoing and big-hearted ways.
"He was a big part of the community, a big part of the police department. He worked closely with the fire department. It's a devastating occurrence," said Captain John Caparelli of the Larchmont Fire Department.
"They found that he led his son out and went back in to save the rest of his family. That tells you the kind of man that he was," Mayor McAndrews said.<p. Outside the department, some officers came and went, but were not speaking. Others had gone to Carmel.
"He was a great guy - always a smile on his face. He was great to work for - a great individual," said Antonio Rigano, of the Larchmont Fire Department.
McAndrews is also thinking of the captain's 20-year-old son Thomas Jr.
"To have the young man's family wiped out like that is just beyond belief. We're talking about a real tragedy here," McAndrews said.
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
carmel, fire death, firefighter killed, northern suburbs news, tim fleischer
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos