Northern Suburbs News
Treed bear captivates Schenectady neighborhood
SCHENECTADY -- The latest black bear to wander into an urban neighborhood in eastern New York has tumbled from a tree in a historic section of Schenectady after being shot with tranquilizer darts.
Local media report the 200-pound animal was spotted in backyards Thursday before climbing to a resting spot on a large limb about 15 feet up in the Stockade neighborhood.
As police watched, state Department of Environmental Conservation officers hit the bear with three darts, the last one sending it scrambling to 30 feet up before it fell.
It was carried in a net to a cage. There was no immediate word on its condition.
Last week, DEC officers tranquilized a bear in a tree in Albany. It was later released in rural Schoharie County.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bear, northern suburbs news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Warm and mild
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Connecticut, NTSB officials to tour train crash site 38 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million 38 min ago
- Cops investigating after Hofstra student killed 8 min ago
- Ramarley Graham's parents to join rally in Harlem 1 min ago
- 5 people injured, struck by vehicles in the Bronx
- EXCLUSIVE: Hot oil attack speaks out after hospital release
- Bieber will have to pay for German monkey business
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide, at least 60...
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos