Northern Suburbs News
Sticky rice balls eyed in Kent food poisoning
KENT CLIFFS, NY (WABC) -- A day of celebration ended terribly for more than 100 people who visited the Buddhist Garden Festival at the Chuang Yen Monestary in Putnam County Sunday.
Dozens of people remain in the hospital Monday with possible cases of food poisoning after a possibly tainted meal.
Now, health officials are looking into sticky rice balls as the possible source of the illness.
The outbreak was so severe that 150 victims were sent to four different hospitals in Putnam, Orange and Westchester counties. At least 700 people attended the Mother's Day celebration event in Kent, including 500 from Chinatown in New York City.
They took buses up for the day, and by mid-afternoon, they boarded the same buses to go shopping at Woodbury Commons. That when they were hit by diarrhea and vomiting.
Officials say the food was all vegetarian and was prepared by volunteers.
The situation quickly escalated.
One published report says authorities are looking into the sticky rice balls served at the festival to see if that's what made everyone sick.
The temple released a statement saying that "this is being investigated by event organizers who are cooperating with the local authorities."
Many of those hospitalized have since been released. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
putnam county, food poisoning, northern suburbs news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 25 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- ObamaCare signups surpass 8 million mark
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos