Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers paint warehouse goes up in flames
YONKERS (WABC) -- A large fire at paint warehouse in Yonkers was finally brought under control Thursday morning.
The blaze broke out about 10 p.m. Wednesday at the factory on Saw Mill River Road.
Officials say they did their best to prevent any chemical runoff from reaching the nearby Saw Mill River, but said some chemicals made their way into the waterway that feeds the Hudson River.
It is reportedly water-soluble, water-based latex paint, and the DEC and County Health Department will evaluate the scene. Officials do not think anything toxic got mixed in, but they are testing to be sure.
Four firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The fire is still under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service 58 min ago
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term 56 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013