Northern Suburbs News
Workers at Coca-Cola bottling plant go on strike
EAST HARFORD -- Unionized workers at a Coca-Cola bottling plant in East Hartford have gone on strike, seeking either a pay raise or to maintain their current health benefits.
More than 350 members of Teamsters Local 1035 walked off the job at 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Their contract expired in December. Workers say they are unwilling to pay more for health care unless the company gives back $2.65 an hour in concessions that the union agreed to five years ago in order to maintain its current benefits package.
The company issued a statement Wednesday night saying it is disappointed by the strike and looks forward to resuming negotiations. The company also said there should be few, if any, disruptions to deliveries.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
hartford, strike, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 31 min ago
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather 15 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
43 min ago
- Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
12 min ago