Northern Suburbs News
Guilty pleas in West Haverstraw home explosion
WEST HAVERSTRAW (WABC) -- A contractor and his company pleaded guilty to assault and reckless endangerment Friday for a home explosion in Rockland County that injured four people, including two firefighters.
The natural gas explosion leveled the West Haverstraw home on January 16.
The contractor, 53-year-old Fidel Padilla, was hired by a subcontractor to install a 2-inch conduit at the Fairgrounds II condiminum complex for the installation of a Verizon Fios fiberoptic cable.
Over several days, FGC Communications, Inc. installed the conduit throughout much of the complex without incident. But on January 16 at approximately 12:15 p.m., workers excavating under Zariello Lane using a pneumatic device called a "mole" or "missile" struck and punctured a gas line. The error was a result of failing to comply with safety standards and the direction of the subcontractor.
The resulting gas leak ignited and sparked an explosion that destroyed the condo unit and seriously damaged several other nearby homes.
"This incident is particularly disturbing because it could have been prevented," District Attorney Thomas Zugibe said. "By violating applicable regulations and industry standards, these defendants nearly caused the deaths of four people and left several families homeless. Their careless and short-sighted decisions had the potential to cause serious loss of life."
Two West Haverstraw volunteer firefighters and two Orange & Rockland Utilities workers, who were evacuating residents and assessing the gas leak, were seriously injured when the explosion occurred.
"Today's plea agreement not only holds these defendants accountable for their conduct, but also sends a message to the construction industry," Zugibe said. "Those who knowingly risk the public's safety, to save time or money, will face justice."
Padilla pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree reckless endangerment, while FGC Communications pleaded guilty to first-degree assault.
Sentencing is scheduled for July 27.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
rockland county, west haverstraw, explosion, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 6 min ago
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets 37 min ago
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win