Northern Suburbs News
Arrest made in Monsey brazen diamond theft
MONSEY (WABC) -- Police have arrested 28-year-old Natalia Kaledzi in connection to a brazen diamond theft in Monsey. Officials say she walked into a local jewelry store not once, but twice and left with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise.
Kaledzi was charged with two counts of grand larceny
Kaledzi had a unique way of getting away with the goods. Surveillance video starts with a woman walking in through the front door of the jewelry showcase in Monsey, but she is not a paying customer. She's a cool customer and a brazen thief.
Laurie Weiss was in her jewelry store last week when the suspect came in saying she wanted to buy a diamond ring. Since it was near closing time, Weiss had them in the safe in display racks.
The suspect slid a mirror over to act as a shield while Weiss turned to get a bracelet the woman had asked to see. The distraction allowed the thief to calmly place a fake diamond ring in the display while pocketing the real one.
This original theft is only a quarter of the story because the same woman returned to the store the very next day and stole three more rings, duping other store employees. The rings are valued at approximately 5-thousand dollars each - a 20-thousand dollar hit to Weiss' business.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
monsey, crime, theft, robbery, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 33 min ago
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead
- Suspect sought for stealing puppy from LI pet store
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
33 min ago