Northern Suburbs News
Goshen bride who faked cancer is sentenced
GOSHEN, N.Y. -- An upstate New York woman who faked having cancer so donors would pay for her wedding and Caribbean honeymoon is being released after less than two months in jail.
Jessica Vega apologized Wednesday in Orange County Court for the scam. A prosecutor says she has paid back more than $13,000 to people she victimized.
The judge then sentenced her to time served. Vega was arrested April 3 and pleaded guilty to the scam three weeks later.
Her lawyer says she'll be released later Wednesday from the county jail.
Her ex-husband says Vega will live with his family.
Vega claimed in 2010 that she was dying of leukemia and wanted a "dream wedding" to Michael O'Connell, the father of her baby.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
orange county, cancer, northern suburbs news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 9 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela 53 min ago
- Reaction to death of Nelson Mandela
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 53 min ago
- Who is Bill Bratton? 54 min ago
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
36 min ago
- Who is Bill Bratton?
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos